Syllabus / Permits 101

Hiring an expeditor


What is an expeditor?

Also known as "code consultants," expediters act as liaisons between you and all the parties involved in getting a Department of Buildings permit for your renovation.


When you need an expeditor

If you're simply making cosmetic changes like painting and decorating, chances are you won't need a DOB permit, and therefore won't need an expediter. 

But if you're taking on a bigger job that falls under the following categories--and your contractor can tell you for sure--you'll be filing with the DOB:

  • Type I: Your renovation requires a major change to the certificate of occupancy, including changing the use of the building from commercial to residential, adding a bathroom or combining apartments.
  • Type II: Your renovation requires different trades such as plumbing, electrical and construction, even if there's no change to the certificate of occupancy. 


Expeditor fees

You'll pay more upfront--anywhere from $2,000 to $3,000, plus miscellaneous fees, per permit process--but hiring one is well worth it if you're a busy professional or facing a deadline (or both!), since you and your architect will likely save time and money in the long run.

Expediters are experts: they're required to keep abreast of all the changes to code, and they also know which questions to ask, how to fill in the forms, and what you'll pay in fees. 



This post is intended for informational purposes only and is general in nature as it does not take into account your personal renovation situation. You should really consider whether the information is appropriate to your needs, and where appropriate, seek professional advice from a licensed architect, general contractor or financial / legal adviser.