Syllabus / Permits 101

Permits for bathroom renovations


When you need a permit

If you’re just looking to change out the aesthetic features of the bathroom and keep everything in the same location (including the sink, toilet, and shower/tub), then generally you won’t need a permit or an expediter. That goes for installing new tiles, plumbing fixtures (toilet, vanity, sink, faucet, shower body/controls), and lighting.

But if you plan to change the layout of the bathroom by moving the toilet or sink to a new location, then a permit is a must.

First, find out if you have to have to apply for the permit. Start by calling the DOB or visit them in person to get information on what you need --getting a permit varies on a case-by-case basis. If you wind up having to apply, the DOB can request architectural blueprints for things like plumbing changes, meaning there would be an added cost. How much that cost is will depend on the specifics of your property and the scope of your project. 


Know your building's rules

Some condo and co-op boards require that you get permits, even if they wouldn’t ordinarily be required by the city (what can we say, buildings can be a pain sometimes).

Your building will also require you to sign an alteration agreement, which states the normal rules, requirements, and limitations to what can be done on your space. Sometimes the building will require that you put down a security payment that’s held in escrow and returned once the job is completed -- though if the workmen cause any damage to the hallways etc., the building will take it out of your deposit.


Hiring an expeditor

Most people hire an expediter to navigate the DOB approvals process. Expediters act as liaisons between you and the DOB and can help figure out which permits you need, as well as facilitate the paperwork. Their fees can range up to $1,500 - $2,000. Some charge per trip, others charge/bill through an architect or contractor they work with,.

The DOB can be a frustrating place, where you can have an official tell you one day that you need a certain type of permit, then the next time you go, they tell you it’s an entirely new type of permit or filing because of some new circumstance they’ve just noticed--such as a landmark building, etc.

Sometimes you may be required to hire an architect to get the permits sorted, and their fees range from $2,000 to $10,000 depending on the architect you choose, and the scope of work of your project.

What's important to know is that getting permits may take time, and you have to have the permit in order before you start construction.



This post is intended for informational purposes only and is general in nature as it does not take into account your personal renovation situation. You should really consider whether the information is appropriate to your needs, and where appropriate, seek professional advice from a licensed architect, general contractor or financial / legal adviser.