If you suspect something is wrong with your project, look out for any of these red flags.
1) Your contractor asks for a big advance that doesn’t make any sense/relate to the needs of the project.
2) Subcontractors or suppliers start complaining about not being paid.
3) Materials keep arriving late.
4) You start to disbelieve the excuses you are being given.
5) Subcontractors walk off the job for no apparent reason.
6) Your contractor asks you for additional funds in advance of progress being made.
7) Your contractor’s been in litigation more than once in the last two years (to be sure about this, either ask your lawyer to check federal and state databases, or contact the Better Business Bureau or your local licensing agency that oversees home remodeling and ask for any history of complaints or penalties against the contractor).