The 5 Biggest Warning Signs of a Bad Contractor
1) If a contractor asks for a cash-only deposit
2) If he tries to charge you for a proposal
3) If he asks you to submit permits, rather than doing it himself
4) If he turns up unannounced at your door and offers a bid for work (“I was just in the neighborhood and noticed your windows weren’t double-glazed…”)
5) If he doesn’t have a license – he must be a registered contractor, or else you have no recourse if the project goes bust/the contractor goes under during the project
The Most Important Questions To Ask a Contractor
1) How many projects do you have going on? (Zero = no good, 10 = too many/spread too thin)
2) How long have you been in business?
3) Are you going to be managing the project? If not you, then who? Do you have a foreman?
4) Can I see references? (These should consist of: projects that they’re doing now, customers they have now, architects, and subcontractors/suppliers that the contractor has worked with, to ask if they get paid on time).